Electric Emergency/Outage: 1-855-855-2433      Gas Emergency/Leak: 1-855-855-2268

Damage to Electrical Equipment

A flood, fire or other catastrophic event has damaged your electric equipment. Before service is restored, you’ll need to know what repair steps must be taken and what equipment is yours and what equipment is ours.

Reconnecting Your Electric Equipment

  • If the building is damaged, arrange for it to be inspected by the local Building Inspector or Code Enforcement Official.
  • Contact a licensed electrician to determine whether the building’s electrical system has been damaged.
  • If you own the damaged equipment, you’ll need to have the repairs completed by a licensed electrician before your power can be turned back on.
  • After repairs are complete, arrange for the building’s electric service to be inspected by a licensed electrical inspector authorized by your municipality. These inspectors do not work for us. They will charge you for their services.
  • Once the building’s electric system passes inspection, the inspector or electrician will provide written notification to us. This is called a cut-in card. After we receive the cut-in card, your electric service will be restored as soon as possible.

What’s Ours? What’s Yours?

The following diagrams illustrate whether the customer or O&R is responsible for repair of damaged equipment.

Underground Pad Mounted