Located underground is a complex network of pipes and wires for critical services such as electricity, natural gas, communications, water, sewage and other utilities. Unsafe digging can damage buried equipment. If you plan to dig anywhere - from large construction jobs to home projects - smart digging means calling PA One Call at 811 before each job. It's the first step in helping you to dig safely and avoid damaging critical utilities.
Avoid Serious Consequences. Striking an underground utility line while digging can cause harm to you or those around you. It can also disrupt service to entire neighborhoods, and potentially result in fines and repair costs defined in PA's strict facility protection law. Nationwide, one out of every three damages to underground utilities is the result of an excavator not calling 811 first. Never assume you know what is below.
Simple Steps to Safer Digging
- Make the call. One free, simple phone call to PA One Call at 811 will notify all appropriate utility companies of your intent to dig.
- Provide advance notice. Contact 811 at least three but not more than ten business days, but not including the date of the call, prior to digging to ensure enough time for utility lines to be properly marked.
- Provide your project info. When you call 811, a representative from PA One Call will ask for the location and description of your digging project. You will be given a ticket number for your request.
- Allow utilities to mark underground lines. PA One Call will notify Leatherstocking and other affected utilities that will then send professional locators to the proposed dig site to mark the approximate location of any underground lines.
- Respect the Markings. Preserve the paint/flags until no longer needed for safe excavation. It is recommended that you remove them to the best of your ability once your excavation work is complete.
- Understand the location marks. Each type of buried utility has its own color code. Marks may be painted or located with flags using the following colors:
For Emergencies Contact Us At 1-855-855-2268.